Saturday, September 21, 2013

Manners Lady Concert

Judi the Manner's Lady Concert was one of the bonus events for September that the Kidsworld had organized. I would have forgotten about this event if it hadn't appeared in the local newspaper. The best part was that it was in Richmond and not a far off city like Abbotsford or North Vancouver. So I decided to give it a go. I called the number to RSVP and Judi
answered the phone herself. She chatted with me like we were long lost friends. She definitely made my day and I had to meet this lady.


Teaching kids manners is becoming quite a phenomenon. Back in the days when I was growing up, there was nothing called a manners club or an etiquette class. We just learned our manners on the go and we all turned out pretty fine. However, Judi the manners lady has taken up the responsibility to teach kids around the world good manners in a fun, upbeat and positive environment.

Through the medium of song, dance and role play, Judi demonstrated simple manners such as saying hello, firm handshake and using happy eyes. She stressed the importance of the 5 fabulous phrases-please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me and I am sorry. She also taught the kids that to have a friend, you need to be a friend. She invited the kids to play the roles of Fuzzy Wuzzy heart the Bad Manners monsters-Messy Bessy, slobber-roo , Whiny Rhino, Grouchy rouchy, Wiggly Jiggly and Grabba Jabba. Aaliyah and Ayaan also joined in on the fun as Judi's helpers. They each got to hold a letter of the Manners Club banner. I was proud to see both my kids on the stage. They were having a good time.


Towards the end of the concert, Judi read a manuscript of her first book-Never Better Fred. A story about an immigrant who with all the hardships, always had a positive attitude and always went with the mantra that things were never better. Kudos to Judi for her first attempt at a storybook. I hope she succeeds in her journey to spread the message of good manners and positive attitude to all the people around the world.

Both the kids enjoyed the concert and they spoke about it all the way back home. I guess it was a worthwhile trip.

No comments: