Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chongay

Chongay
"Chongay" is a dessert that is made during the month of Muharram along with "Doodh ka sharbat" and Khubooli. It is one of Nasir's favorite dessert. His Mom, my Mother-in Law makes the best Chongays ever. She uses pure desi ghee (clarified butter) in her preparation and the end product is
crisp and yummy. It is easier to make than most other desserts yet the calorie content is what deters me from making in on a regular basis. But then again which dessert isn't calorie dense? This one seems light and so you end up having more than one. It is addictive. I made it and it was all gone within minutes. Before making it I searched the internet for the proportions. Just wanted to make it perfect. I had tried it before but they were not crisp. They turned out like regular pooris. I couldn't  find a recipe. I was probably using a new name. Its probably known by a different name. A recipe for such a simple dessert is not hard to find if only I had the right name for it. But if my Mother-in-Law calls it "Chongay" then chongay it is. So here is my take on the recipe.
                                                                     Chongay

Ingredients: 
2 cups All purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp desi ghee/clarified butter

1 cup powdered sugar
1tsp powdered fennel seeds
1 tsp powdered cardamom 

Oil or ghee for frying



Method of preparation:
Mix the milk and the flour and knead it into a dough. Add 1 tsp of desi ghee. Now roll out the dough into small circles and fry them in oil or ghee. As soon as you take it out of the oil, drizzle the Chongay with powdered sugar, cardamom and fennel powder. Chongay can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.

No comments: